I had a great experience on Chance’s radio show yesterday!! But I did want to touch on a few things real quick since we did have a limited amount of time. Chance had asked me about “white” magick vs. “black” magick, and I had focused more on how I see the difference.. when really I could of simplified it as this… There is NO black or white magick in all truth. The energy is just there and doesn’t really “pick sides”! It is really in the intention of the person doing the working!! Now, here’s a way to think of it as well… In art, black is the absence of all visible light, while white is filled with the complete spectrum. And if we didn’t have black; we wouldn’t have shadows, defining lines, etc.. And the same goes for white as it is the highlights! Black is just the absence of light, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything there; while with white, EVERYTHING is there and very well could “overshadow” your main cause. So, we really do need both!
As I said in the show, we are souls in a physical body living a human experience. And we very well could say “I’m not going to get angry”, but we would need to also see what the cost of that expression may bring us to as well. Sometimes you DO need to get angry! Anger is directly related to a PASSIONATE response. You need to have that passion in order to reach your goals or you become apathetic! Now, while I do resonate more as a Pagan, rather than a Wiccan. I do believe Wicca is a very good religion for some that are reclaiming a part of themself that they may have lost due to some oppression they may have faced. It definitely was that way for me! But as I walked the path, I also realized I WAS suppressing a very needed part of my life as well and that is why I no longer felt I would call myself Wiccan. ALL Wiccan’s are Pagan, but not all Pagan’s are Wiccan, and all Witches are not necessarily Pagan either.. I’ve met PLENTY of Christian Witches!! So now I want to go over some of the “rules”.
The main difference between Paganism and Wicca is that Wiccan’s have the Rede and Law of Three. The short version of the Rede is simply; “An ye harm none, do what ye will.” Here is the extended version of the Wiccan Rede.
Bide ye the Wiccan laws ye must, in perfect love and perfect trust.
Ye must live and let live, fairly take and fairly give.
Cast the Circle thrice about, to keep unwelcome spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be spoken in rhyme.
Soft of eye and light of touch, speak ye little and listen much.
Deosil go by waxing moon, chanting out the Wiccan runes.
Widddershins go by waning moon, chanting out the baneful tune.
When the Lady’s moon is new, kiss the hand of Her times two.
When the moon rides at Her peak, then the heart’s desire seek.
Heed the North wind’s mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss thee on the mouth.
When the Moor wind blows from the West, departed spirits have no rest.
When the wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.
Nine woods in the cauldron go, burn them quick and burn them slow.
Elder be the Lady’s tree, burn it not or cursed ye’ll be.
When the wheel begins to turn, let the Beltane fires burn.
When the wheel has turned to Yule, light the log and the Horned One rules.
Heed ye flower, bush and tree, by the Lady, Blessed be.
Where the rippling waters go, cast a stone, the truth to know.
When ye have and hold a need, hearken not to other’s greed.
With a fool no seasons spend, or be counted as his friend.
Merry meet and merry part, bright the cheeks and warm the heart.
Mind the Threefold Law ye should, three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow, wear the blue star on your brow.
True in love ye must ever be, lest ye love be false to thee.
These words the Wiccan Rede fulfill,: An ye harm none, do what ye will.
Now the Law of Three is simply that what you send out, you get back 3 times! So send out good, get good back 3 times as good! This is one I kinda never understood.. mostly because I’m a science nerd so I never really figured there was some sort of law that would change this other than what you send out, you get back.. plain and simple. This is seen in Newton’s Laws! Law 1 states, “Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.” So as I said, magick is magick.. it doesn’t subscribe to “white” or “black” until the intent is applied! Law 3 states, “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” Nowhere does it say that the action or reaction becomes amplified! I then felt that the saying of “All that is, is.” was also a very good way to look at things in this way. So now we come to some more rules or laws..
Spiritual Laws of the Craft
1. No truth is absolute.
2. The Universe consists of opposites.
3. For every action there is a reaction.
4. We are all one, we are all connected.
5. The ultimate act of spirituality is creation through love manifesting harmony.
6. What we give to spirit will return to us.
7. We must never close our mind to knowledge.
8. A circle is a holy place, negativity is not acceptable.
9. The body of the witch is used to channel and focus energy,
tools are merely focusing aids.
10. Use common sense, to not teach the mysteries to fools.
11. Witches are not to give the identities of other witches as
discrimination still haunts the earth.
12. Acknowledge the presence of the Gods in your daily life through word and deed.
13. The Earth is a living being; take care how you live on your host.
The Practical Laws of the Craft
1. Never use a system you do not understand.
2. Do not set a price on magickal work (other than supplies and time/energy used).
3. Never use your magickal skills to show off.
4. Learn to banish first, as binding may be overkill.
5. Know that what is created it thought manifests in reality.
6. Never lie to yourself.
7. Injuries, sickness often result from low self-esteem, RARELY from negative magick.
8. Power grows in relation to wisdom.
9. Take great caution in using magick for negative purposes.
10. Never do less than your best.
11. Do not give into the negative words of others about your faith or lifestyle.
12. Witches are not to give the identities of other Witches as discrimination still haunts the Earth.
13. Do not lend out your Magickal Record.
14. Property owned should be guarded mundanely and spiritually.
15. Do not seek revenge; the Gods and laws of karma will punish sufficiently.
16. Respect the science of magick, but it is not sacred.
17. Sex is not to be used for ritual unless between consenting, mature adults.
It is NEVER used in teaching.
18. Teaching is not done for money, and must be in a safe environment,
with equal rights for both student and teacher.
13 Goals of a Witch
1. Know yourself.
2. Know your Craft.
4. Apply knowledge with wisdom.
5. Achieve balance.
6. Keep your words in good order.
7. Keep your thoughts in good order, thoughts are things.
8. Celebrate life.
9. Attune with the cycles of the Earth.
10. Breathe and eat correctly.
11. Exercise the body.
12. Meditate, exercise the mind.
13. Honor the Gods and the Old Ways.
As you can see, many of these rules and laws are very much COMMON SENSE! And still contains the old adage of “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!”. Witches, Wiccan’s and Pagan’s are your neighbors, your friends, and your family! I really love the part in Practical Magic where the one aunt tells the ladies involved in their circle that “There’s a little Witch in all of us!”.
If you would like to explore Earth based spirituality with me, I will soon be offering a class!! Please send me a message at facebook or my email if you would like to be placed on the class list or receive more info!! I hope you all are having a fabulous weekend and stop back by soon for Tarotscopes!